Friday, April 17, 2015

Here’s My Story

The “Why” And The Result Of Downsizing


For most of my adult life, I wasn’t truly happy.


I worked in jobs that I didn’t like (some I hated), jobs that were not what I really wanted to be doing. Like many other people, I thought it was something I had to do so we could live.


I wasn’t happy, but didn’t realize how unhappy I was until I made some changes to my lifestyle.


In reality, I was just coasting.


And then something happened that forced me to rethink how I was living.


I realized what I really needed was to feel happy and alive again.


With that realization came change.


We completely changed the way we were living our life.


It wasn’t an easy decision. It took a lot of thought, a lot of planning, and a lot of work. But it was worth it.


The end result is so much more than we ever could have imagined.


Fast forward a few years…


We are living a life that we enjoy. We are happy.


I am self-employed now, doing what I was meant to do. I should have done this many years ago.


We have a great work/life balance. Something that eluded us before.


We know now that there is no reason why anyone should live a mediocre life. A life full of struggles.


We are the owners of our lives….There is just one life and it’s ours to choose how we live it.


The catalyst for all the positive changes was when we downsized our house from a big one to a very small house. Everything snowballed (in a positive way) from that point on.


Two major changes that occurred from that decision were:


Our stress load decreased tremendously.



  • We work when we want. Our work time is not dictated by anyone but ourselves.


We have been able to pay off most of our debts; we are now working on the only remaining one.



  • Our “house” is very small. The cost of living is minimal.

  • Because of the small size, it takes very little time to clean and/or maintain.

  • This leaves of time and money for other things.


Which is a Huge Bonus!


But that’s not all!


We now have much more time for ourselves, our family, and friends.


The switch for living large to living small gave us the opportunity to reflect on our past life. The big houses we lived in were meaningless – nothing more than a status symbol. What people think is a reflection of success is more of a burden.


Life is not about what you have…

It is about how you live your life!



I made the decision that I wanted to live a meaningful life. A fulfilled life.


I want to live my life to the fullest.


That was not possible with all the demands from the way we used to live.


My fondest wish is that more people will realize that living a great life is more important than what you have. Those are just “things”; they don’t give meaning to your life.


Make plans to change your life for the better. It all starts with downsizing.


Take a look at some of the tiny house designs, and begin your journey to a better life.




http://affordablehousingdesigns.com/the-latest/heres-my-story/ Joanne

No comments:

Post a Comment